Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Got bit by the bug...

The holiday bug seems to bite me earlier and earlier every year! ...probably because all stores are displaying holiday merchandise earlier, just to tease me. This year, I caved. I did something I never thought I would do. I bought an artificial tree.  I wasn't intending to, really.  The thought of hiking through the woods with my family to find 'the perfect tree' sounds so appealing...then bring it home...daddy cuts the tip off the trunk...we haul it in and get it set up 'just so.'  Perfect!
Well not really.  Ya see, that's NOT how it goes in my house.  I married Scrooge, in case you didn't know. He doesn't like Christmas lights. He doesn't like gifts. He HATES to shop (anytime, let alone at Christmas). The only thing he really likes are the holiday parties.  I love him dearly, but I do wish the holiday bug would BITE HIM HARD!!

MY holiday goes like this:  I go out by myself to get the tree.  I have Jim at the tree stand cut the trunk for me, because sawing it myself isn't fun (and neither is the thought of cutting off my thumb with a dull blade), he shoves it in my trunk.  I drive home slowly with the tree hanging out of my trunk, because 9 times out of 10, Chris has the van, and I PRAY TO THE LORD that the tree doesn't fall out on the road. Then, I drag that sucker inside myself, hoping I get it into the stand/water within the hour, because Jim says I have to.  Last year, Chris wasn't home to help me put it in the stand.  I called my neighbor, Paul, to come help.  I can't remember what happened honestly.  He might've helped.  I think he did. Yeah, he did. I held it straight while he screwed in the bolts. (I have alzheimers...but yep...pretty sure that's how it went).  Then the kids and I decorate, etc.  Chris comes home and says, "Hm!! Looks really nice!"  And then goes about reading the newspaper.  He DOES acknowledge the decorations a little at least!  One thing though, that I really don't get is how different people are about the holidays.  I mean really....who sits in a room with a Christmas tree and doesn't click the lights on??  To me, there's nothing better than sitting in my living room, in low light or in the dark, with my tree on!  I wish it could stay up all year long!  There's something calming about little white lights.
SOOOO......  this year, I was shopping in early November, saw artificial trees and thought it would be so much easier to just plop it up every year, and keep the lights on it, and plop it back into the basement (keeping it assembled) when I'm done with it. So that's exactly what I did.  It was Nov. 6th.  My birthday. Chris came home to me assembling the tree, blaring music, and I was playing the "fireside reflections" DVD (which is simply a video-taped fire...lol!!!!)  You can only imagine his grumble as he walked through the front door and said, "  "  ...well, I can't type what he said.  He wasn't thrilled. We'll leave it at that!!  My reasoning was that I at least wanted to make sure I LIKED this tree before the holidays started.  And I do. I like it.  But that's all.  I don't "love it."  I like that you can scooch a branch out of your way, if it's in the way of an ornament hanging perfectly.  I like that there are no needles dropping everyday.  I like that I can put it up whenever and I don't need to worry about "oh I want to get the tree Friday, but it's supposed to rain."  So yes, I'm keeping the tree.  But I will say, my neighbor has one of the most beautiful, REAL, fattest Christmas trees I've ever seen and I'm jealous. But again, I 'like' mine just fine.

So while Chris was at a race, the kids and I decorated...and decorated...and decorated!!!  I love it.  We definitely have more traditional holiday stuff.  I love some of the new colors and sparkly things out there this year though!  I incorporated a bit of sparkle last year and am glad I did.  I can't really say anything is "themed."  It's hodge-podge...but I like it that way.  I can tell you where every ornament on my tree came from...and I truly think there are about 872 on there!  It's loaded!

Here are some pics of my beautifully-lit home.  Now I just need some company that loves the holidays!!


                                                               "Nick, smile normal."

                                                        "COME ON NICK, smile NORmal!"

...I gave up...this is fine...



       Elise is putting up the first ornament.  This year she chose the clear glass bubble...

I love this part!  Popping the lid and just listening to the kids..."Aw! I remember this!...Oooh, this is my favorite!....Here Nick, this one's yours..."

Of course, this one is MY favorite.  Elise's last binky tied with a big silver ribbon.  She won't even touch it and is disgusted that it's on the tree. I always put it right in the front, to make her mad...but high enough so that she can't reach it to take it down!

                   They both did a perfect job this year (finally) spreading the ornaments out!



             1,000 lights on a 7.5' tree.  I wonder how many the Griswald's had on theirs??

                                      The kids' favorite decoration...the advent house...


                                      I might not have a fireplace, but at least I have a mantle!!


I had that horn hanging low last year. Everyone and their brother had their grubby little mouths on it. This year, that sucker's up high!  hahahahaha!!!!



Happy Holidays!!  And just for the record...I do love my Scrooge...

No comments:

Post a Comment