Monday, September 5, 2011

vegetable garden + bugs = a new plan!

Man! I really was having such a wonderful time in the spring planting my garden.  I was so excited to watch everything grow...I'd wake up each morning, drag the hose out, and see if anything was "perkier" than the day before.  It wasn't 'til the hot summer sun came out that everything started growing big time!  

But with summer sun comes summer bugs.  Lots and lots of summer bugs. I remember bugs last year.  I'd just spray them with soapy water and they'd disappear.  They especially loved my eggplants!  Well this year?? ~ I didn't get ANY eggplant.  None. Zilcho. Nadda.
Really, the only things that did well were my pole beans, zucchini, lettuce, and spinach (early on).  The bugs took over everything else, and the darn birds ate my ripe tomatoes. Nearly EVERY.ONE.OF.THEM.  I thought it was chipmunks...but nope!  BIRDS!  Who knew?? 

So in looking back at all the time and money I spent planting that darn garden, I thought screw it.  I'm not doing that anymore.  Maybe I'll do a couple tomato plants and screen them from the birds.  Maybe a pot or two of cilantro and mint.  But other than that.  Naahhhh.

Over the weekend, I ripped out the entire garden. The beans and peppers weren't quite done yet...but again, I thought....screw it! 
Chris and I went to the store to browse around, and ended up buying a large firepit and 4 black wrought iron chairs to place around the pit.

The plan includes:
small boxwood bushes
5 medium sized ornamental grasses for privacy
flowering grasses (got them at Lowe's on clearance the other day)
current perennials (foxglove, daisies, rose of sharon)
pots of annuals

And the firepit in the middle.

It better look as good as it does in my head!  I can't wait to roast my first marshmallow out there....and have Nick tell me a ghost story. 

I'll post pictures of the different phases as they happen.  It's pouring right now, so the phase 1 picture will be coming soon!!

stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment