Wednesday, October 19, 2011

tuck 'em tight!

Every time I watch the food channel (and I'm a junkie, so that occurs quite often!), I watch them...all of them...tuck their fingers in before they slice & dice their veggies.  They all do it.  They make it look so simple!!  Have you EVER tried that??  It's virtually impossible!  I end up practically cutting my knuckles! So, after trying it and trying it repeatedly... and having it take 15  minutes to chop 1 onion ... I thought, "Forget it. I'm just choppin' MY way!" 

My dear friend & neighbor (aka...nebber...aka...neb) simply cringes every time she watches me cut something.  She's like, "RACHEL!  TUCK YOUR FINGERS IN!!"  ~ like she's my mother or something!  I just laugh and continue chopping!

WELL.

I now know the reason of WHY you should tuck 'em tight!  Yes. A lesson learned the hard way. On Tuesday, I was wackin' a carrot into thick slices as fast as I could...as I wanted to be on time for a very important meeting.  Suddenly, I felt something warm.  Something wet.

I had done 'er good.  I chopped the tip of my poor little thumbkin. I didn't just knick it. I chopped it. My thumbprint will no longer be nice and round. When I make thumbprint people/creatures with my kids from now on, everyone will know which creature is mommy's...the one with the dip in his head. 

Let me tell ya...thumb's BLEED. for hours. and they won't stop. and when you bump it, it gushes. and the next day when you're packing lunches and trying to open the mayo jar, it'll bleed again. and when you're trying to button your britches it'll bleed again. and when you try and TEXT it really bleeds (and hurts like a you know what!) and when .... you get my point ~ I could rattle on forever! 

Well, lesson learned!  Tuck 'em tight!  And a "told ya" moment to my neb...

SEE!!! My knives ARE sharp!  So there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment