Monday, August 15, 2011

It's what time??? It's SUSHI time!!!

So...my friend Heidi and I have been talking a lot lately about sushi. My love for it is grand!! Her husband somehow weasels his way into FREE platters of sushi rolls for giving the Japanese restaurant owners a little help with their exercise program...  sounds like a good deal to me!  Heidi's a go-getter.  She called and said, "ok. let's plan our sushi day!" 

so we did...

We followed Rachael Ray's recipe for "Party sushi rolls" which you can find on google. (call me lazy, but I ain't typin' all that!) We followed the recipe directions to a tee. 

Prior to starting, please note: This is NOT one of Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals!! 

There were quite a number of steps, but honestly, if you have the rice ready ahead of time, the process will fly.

Here's the process in a nutshell:

Make rice.

(that's me pouring the rice vinegar/sugar drizzle over the hot rice)


Prepare the innards. (saute the shrimp, roast the asparagus...etc.)


It's good to have a friend to help you.  At one point, it's helpful for her to be on call to help with the "flipping of the nori" and keeping the plastic wrap from flipping too!!

(that's Heidi and me.  Hi Heidi!!  )
(the bamboo mat above has plastic wrap covering it...then the nori...then the rice. After you 'pat' the rice all over the nori, you have to peel the nori off the plastic and FLIP the whole thing.  THAT'S where you need the friend!!!)  ;)


Line up the innards.


Roll...Roll...Roll...


Roll & squeeze...Roll & squeeze...


Ta Daaaaaa!!!! 


After slicing them up, add cilantro, pickled ginger, & wasabi paste



I'm dying here.  I calculated 1 roll, which includes 8 'rounds' to be only about 250 calories. 
C-R-A-Z-Y!! 

LOVE.


1 comment: