Thursday, August 25, 2011

school.

School.  It's that inevitable thing that haunts me, come August. Working in a school and being married to a school teacher and having 2 kids that are school-aged makes summers wonderful...and the weeks leading up to the first day of school challenging!  We've had such a fabulous summer.  Yes, I've had my fill of "Mom!  I'm bored!"  But when I look at the summer as a whole...it was fantastic. 

My kids attend the school where I work.  I think the school is great.  It's got much to offer...the latest in technology...a fabulous gym...a library that's filled to the brim...and fanTASTIC teachers!  Our town has felt the need to close many of the small schools...and build these crazy-big "elementary centers" with 500 kids per school.  It's a LOT!!  Bigger school = Bigger problems.  Naturally.  I can't say I agree with larger elementary schools.  But honestly, I'm really getting tired ... TIRED ... of all the complaints from parents/friends who's kids attend the school as well.  This past school year, our school didn't pass the state test requirements.  Does this mean the teachers are bad teachers and not doing their job?  NO!  But there are many people pulling their kids out of the school because of it.  There are many ESL kids that attend this school, so of course, there's going to be lower scores.  The kids can't read and understand English as well as their peers.  So duh!  Lower scores result.  It's inevitable!  My feeling?? 
If MY kid is showing progress, then why does it matter that the school as 'a whole' didn't pass?  When I was growing up, there were yearly required tests...but not tests like this.  ~ that 'rate schools' and 'judge schools.'  I really don't like it.  In fact, I despise it. 

So here I sit.  I'm backing my kids' school 100%.  I think it's a great school.  I think some of the parents need a little 'fine tuning on manners.'  But all in all...the kids are great.  And so is the staff.  And they're doing a kick-ass job teaching my children!! 

So here's to a great school year filled with laughter and learning...and hopefully, some new friendships. 

Cheers!

1 comment: