Saturday, July 23, 2011

...it's like a third child...

I just love my garden.
I water it several times a week...it's the first thing I check on in the morning as my coffee 'perks'...and the harvesting is the most rewarding thing in the world! 
BUT
The BEST harvesting EVER is when you are randomly walking past the garden to get into your car, and you notice something out of the corner of your eye...that 'surprise' that's just hiding out under a leaf.  That's what happened to me!!  THREE TIMES so far this season!!  Those darn zucchini are the funniest thing to grow!  You check on them and they might be the size of a small gherkin.  And the next thing you know, you look at that gherkin again (what seems like the SAME DAY...but it's not) and she has grown to the size of a newborn baby!!!  I mean seriously!!  Check this baby out!!

Weighing in at a whopping 6 POUNDS, she was 16" in length. She's so big, I feel I need to name her.  Chris rolls his eyes at me that I call it "she" but I can't help it!!  When you've nurtured something for so long...planted...watered...etc...you sometimes become attached, you know??  So yes, therefore, "she" is a wonderful addition to my frig. and I can't wait to slice her and dice her!!  ooh...maybe even stuff her!!  My mom had done that with zukes before.  Cut them in half lenthwise and take out the "spongy center."  Grill it face down. Make a rice medley with mushrooms and sauteed onion...stuff it inside the zuke (like a zucchini boat) and melt a little cheese over it all...Mmmm Mmmm!!  Yep.  She's gettin' stuffed. I just decided!!  I'll try and remember to photo that!! 
'Til then...

Happy Harvesting!!! 
Now go and peak under ALL of your leaves and don't leave any unturned!!  You'll never know what's lurking beneath them!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment