Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer food...or at least I'm trying...


My tomatoes:
Man, I'd been eyein' these babies up all week. There were 2 that were orange'ish and I was waiting so impatiently for them to ripen on the vine, so that I could have the best, most scrumptious cheese & tomato sandwich.
Today was the day!!  I went out to pluck them from the vine...when suddenly, I felt my finger go into a wet hole.  I pulled the 1st one off the stem and what do you think I saw??  Nibble marks. Nibble marks??  Yes.  Nibble marks.
You see...
There's the cutest little chipmunk living in my garden.  I might have mentioned him before.  Every time I go out there, he runs like mad, over to the rainspout and hides. I didn't really think he was eating my yummy produce!!  I just thought he was enjoying the shade of the cucumber leaves and beans!!  Much to my surprise, that darn rodent is MUNCHING his way through my tomato patch. 
LOOK!!!  See the munch marks??


Ugh!! 
I remember in our last house, the chipmunks would eat the little grape tomatoes that would fall on the ground...but they NEVER climbed up through the vine to get to the fruit!!  Never!!! 
This little fella must be pretty smart!! 

So...off to the grocery store to buy some tomatoes for my fish tacos this week.  I'm so sad!! 

Or at least, I WAS sad, until I found the coolest new item in the produce department!! 

"SlimCado"
It's an avacado from California that's supposed to have fewer calories than a regular avacado!!  I'm SO EXCITED to try it!!  I was tempted to cut it open today, but I really don't need it until tomorrow, so I don't want it to brown...so I'll HAVE to wait!  I'm the most impatient person I've ever met. This will be very hard!!


I'll keep you posted on how it tastes!!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment