Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Home Sweet Home...

So what can I say?  I'm the kind of girl who starts things and doesn't finish...kind of like the vacation entries from last week.  Honestly, I  was enjoying myself too much to be sitting in front of the computer...plus who wants to read day to day details of my trip anyway??  So on to better things...


The first thing I did when I got home was go to the bathroom. go out back and look at my garden. It was incredible!  My tomatos and beans are taller than me! 

Look at these babies:




 I plucked 5 cukes from their stems and searched through the elephant-ear-sized leaves of my zukes looking for some fruit.  They're about 4" long so far...I think I'll leave them for a bit.  I made some wonderful cucumber mango salsa, using cukes and cilantro from my garden. It was great as the recipe stood, but I thought it was missing just a little something.  I added Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime....just a couple shakes.  Perfect!  Here's the recipe:
2 mango, peeled and diced
1 cuke, peeled and diced
1jalepeno, with seeds and ribs removed, diced
1/2 red onion, finely chopped (optional...I did not use it)
Juice from 1 lime (or about 6 T. juice)
zest from 1 lime
6 T. chopped cilantro
salt to taste
Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime
That's it~  Mix it and refrigerate for a bit before serving...but not too long or the mango gets mushy. 


Here's some more yumminess you MUST try!!  Forget the regular C on the C (that's corn on the cob for you plain folk).  Try this! 
Steam your corn (or grill it) as you normally would.  Cut it from the cob.  Add lime juice and cilantro and a pinch of salt.  Stir.  SO GOOD and fresh.  You'll love it!  Guaranteed!!! 


So in case you can't tell....CILANTRO is my new favorite thing in the whole wide world!!  I must plant a LOT more of it next year!!  I'm so glad I ventured into the "unknown territory" and planted it this year!! 


'Til next time....toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment